$$ for TR

white@cs.rochester.edu white at cs.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 18 12:49:19 EDT 1990

>The following technical report is now available:
>

>		LEARNING TO PERCEIVE AND ACT
>
>	   Steven D. Whitehead and Dana H. Ballard
>
>		Technical Report # 331 (Revised)
>		 Department of Computer Science
>		    University of Rochester
>		      Rochester, NY 14627
>
>ABSTRACT:  This paper considers adaptive control architectures that
>integrate active sensory-motor systems with decision systems based
>on reinforcement learning. One unavoidable consequence of active perception
>is that the agent's internal representation often confounds external world
>states.  We call this phenomenon perceptual aliasing and show that it
>destabilizes existing reinforcement learning algorithms with respect
>to the optimal decision policy.  We then describe a new decision system
>that overcomes these difficulties for a restricted class of decision
>problems.  The system incorporates a perceptual subcycle within the overall
>decision cycle and uses a modified learning algorithm to suppress the effects
>of perceptual aliasing. The result is a control architecture that learns not
>only how to solve a task but also where to focus its attention in order to
>collect necessary sensory information.
>

>The report can be obtained by sending requests to either peg at cs.rochester.edu
>or white at cs.rochester.edu.  Be sure to mention TR331(revised) in your request.

I failed to mention that the TR costs $2.00. If you have already requested the TR
and NO LONGER WANT IT, PLEASE MAIL ME. Otherwise, I'll just send the TR (along with the bill.)
My original intension was to bypass our standard billing procedure and distrubute the TR
freely, however the overwheling number of requests has made that impractical.

I apologize for the hassle.

-Steve