Request for Data

Raymond Watrous watrous at ai.toronto.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:17:57 EST 1990

The classic data of Peterson/Barney (1952), consisting of formant
and pitch values for 10 vowels in the [hVd] context for 76 speakers,
has been used in several comparisons of classifiers, connectionist
and otherwise (eg. Huang/Lippmann, Moody, Bridle, Nowlan).
The data used in these comparisons was a subset of the original
data digitized by Huang/Lippmann from the original paper, from which
the speaker identity was not recoverable.

I have received a version of the original data courtesy of Ann Syrdal
(AT&T Bell Labs) which is organized by speaker and vowel. However,
this data is also incomplete in that 1 speaker is missing, as are 6
tokens of the [o] vowel. Can anyone supply the complete, original data
set? (I would be happy to supplement what I have from printed listings,
or punched cards, if the data is not on line.)

Thanks.

Ray Watrous