List Address, ICJNN, and Turing Machines

Gary Cottrell gary%cs at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 16 20:58:28 EST 1990

Zipser & Williams trained a net to be the Finite State control
of a turing machine, something which is quite different.

I did something like that in my paper with Fu-Sheng Tsung in
IJCNN89. We trained a network to learn to be a while loop
with an if-then in it. The network was adding multi-digit numbers.

We also showed that Elman's networks are more powerful than Jordan's
because a n output-recurrent network can forget things about its
input that are not reflected on its output. I.e., the output, due
to the teaching signal, may filter information that you need. This
was easily demonstrated by reversing the order of two statements in
the while loop, which turned it into a program that one could learn
and not the other.

gary cottrell 619-534-6640 Sec'y: 619-534-5288 FAX: 619-534-7029
Computer Science and Engineering C-014
UCSD,
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
gary at cs.ucsd.edu (ARPA)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!gary (USENET)
gcottrell at ucsd.edu (BITNET)