Flame

Jim Bower jbower at smaug.cns.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 14 16:03:55 EST 1990

	Maybe it wasn't clear. I, like many others, judging from my recent
 personal email, tolerated in silence the first several postings of these
 announcements on the connectionists mailing list.  Further, I also have no
 interest in cluttering connectionists with nontechnical garbage, and believe
 that a free and open discourse should be maintained.   While the form
 of my objection may not have been entirely appropriate, the intent was
 precisely to induce some self regulation in those who, in my view, were
 taking advantage of both connectionists and even the larger field.  Without
 self regulation, free forums don't work.  Finally, I must object to the
 suggestion that my reaction has to do with factionalism.  Any event
 sponsored by any institution whose advertising is insulting to other
 workers in the field should not be tolerated no matter what one thinks of
 ones belly button.  That said, I suggest we all go back to work.

 Jim Bower   (ommmmmmmmmmmm...)