Upcoming talk at BBN of interest

aboulang@WILMA.BBN.COM aboulang at WILMA.BBN.COM
Sat Feb 3 19:45:32 EST 1990

BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation Science Development Program

                APPLIED & COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS SEMINAR

                            TIME DELAYS, NOISE,
                                    AND
                              NEURAL DYNAMICS

John G. Milton (telaces at uchimvs1.bitnet)
Assistant Professor
Department of Neurology
University of Chicago
Chicago Illinois, 60637

Wednesday February 14th, 10:30AM
2nd Floor Large Conference Room (6/273)
BBN 10 Moulton St.

An  intrinsic property of neural control mechanisms is the presence of time
delays which arise as a consequence  of,  for  example,  finite  conduction
times  along  the  axon  and across the synapse. A neural control mechanism
which is amenable to manipulation and non-invasive monitoring is the  pupil
light  reflex  (PLR).  Specifically  it is possible to "clamp" the PLR with
external electronic feedback and thus compare  prediction  to  experimental
observation  in  a precisely controllable manner. The PLR is modeled with a
first-order delay-differential equation (DDE)  and  the  dynamics  compared
with  those  observed experimentally.  Physiological considerations suggest
the importance of considering:

   - DDEs with distributed and state-dependent delays,

   - second order DDEs,

   - the influence of noise (stochastic DDEs).

    |     I   have   an   electronic   mailing   list   for   these   |
    |   announcements.    If  you would like to be on the list send   |
    |   mail to: ABOULANGER at BBN.COM.  For more information on  this   |
    |   talk or the series contact Albert Boulanger (617 873-3891).   |