patience is a virtue

Connectionists-Request@CS.CMU.EDU Connectionists-Request at CS.CMU.EDU
Thu Aug 16 12:31:34 EDT 1990

Recently a few people have worried that their posts were lost because of
the long resend time for messages to the connectionists list.  I would like for
all users to exercise a little patience.

CMU is happy to provide the resources and labor necessary to make the
Connectionists list available to the world wide connectionists community.
However, we do have limited resources.  The Connectionists redistribution
machine is a only a VAX 750.  This machine also services several other large
mailing lists.  Delays of 4-6 hours are typical, but delays of >16 hours are
possible during high traffic periods.

If you are trying to debate an issue with another list member, but think the
rest of the list would be interested in the debate it is best to email directly
to the other member and cc: Connectionists at cs.cmu.edu.  This allows you to
carry on your debate at normal email speeds and lets the rest of the community
'listen in' 6-16 hrs latter.

If you feel that the delays are a serious impediment to the research
progress of the connectionists community, CMU would be happy to accept your
donation of new dedicated Connectionists redistribution machine.

Scott Crowder
Connectionists-Request at cs.cmu.edu	(ARPAnet)

PS If you have waited more than 24 hours and STILL haven't recieved your post,
please contact me at Connectionists-Request at cs.cmu.edu.