Summary (long): pattern recognition comparisons

Gary Cottrell gary%cs at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 13 15:35:50 EDT 1990

Leonard Uhr says:

>Neural nets using backprop have only handled VERY SIMPLE images, usually in
>8-by-8 arrays.  (We've used 32-by-32 arrays to investigate generation in
>logarithmically converging nets, but I don't know of any nets with complete
>connectivity from one layer to the next that are that big.)

Mike Fleming and I used 64x64 inputs for face recognition. The system does
auto-encoding as a preprocessing step, reducing the number of inputs to 80.
See IJCNN-90, Vol II p65->.

gary cottrell 619-534-6640 Sec'y: 619-534-5288 FAX: 619-534-7029
Computer Science and Engineering C-014
UCSD,
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
gary at cs.ucsd.edu (ARPA)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!gary (USENET)
gcottrell at ucsd.edu (BITNET)