Cascade Correlation and Convergence

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 9 12:14:19 EDT 1990

Scott's description of his algorithm, and lack of convergence proof,
reminded me of the line of research by Meir and Domany (Complex
Systems 2, 1988) and Mezard and Nadal (Int J Neu Systems, 1,1 1989) on
methods for directly constructing networks.

In a related paper (which I cannot find), I'm quite sure that someone
proved by construction that any (n input, 1 output) boolean function
could be accomplished by a layering of TLU's, where each additional
unit is guaranteed to decrease the number of mis-classified inputs.

Perhaps this approach would help lead to some convergence proof for CC
networks.

Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210                        Fax/Phone: (614) 292-4890