NIPS and Memorial Day

Dave.Touretzky@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU Dave.Touretzky at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Fri May 26 00:57:40 EDT 1989

A lot of us head-in-the-clouds research types have just found out that
Monday, May 29, is Memorial Day, and there will be no FedEx or Express Mail
pickups that day.  But the submission deadline for NIPS abstracts is
Tuesday, May 30.

Technically I suppose that means we should send out our abstracts today
instead of working on them over the weekend.  I don't think that was the
intent of the organizing committee, though.  Everybody knows you set a
Tuesday deadline so people can make the Monday afternoon FedEx pickup.
Therefore, I intend to send a batch of CMU abstracts off to Kathie Hibbard
on Tuesday, with a short note apologizing for their arriving a day late.
Since the NIPS organizing committee is composed of such eminently
reasonable and sympathetic folks, there will surely be no problem.

Other people out there are apparently having similar concerns with the
surprise appearance of Memorial Day, so I thought I'd post this note as as
suggested remedy.  There's a cc: to Kathie so she'll know to expect a few
more FedEx packets on the 31st.

-- Dave