6 month post-doc job

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at ai.toronto.edu
Thu Jul 6 08:18:29 EDT 1989

		CONNECTIONIST POST-DOC POSITION

(If you know of individuals who might be interested but are not on the
connectionists mailing list, please forward this to them.)

The connectionist research group at the University of Toronto is looking
for a post-doctoral researcher for a period of six months starting on January
1 1990.  The ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:

1. A significant amount of experience at running connectionist simulations,
preferably in a unix/C environment, and a willingness to use the Toronto
Research Simulator (not publicly available).

2. Some knowledge of neuropsychology.

3. A genuine desire to spend six months working intensively on connectionist
simulations that explain neuropsychological phenomena.  Examples of the types
of syndrome we are interested in are given in Shallice, T. "From
Neuropsychology to Mental Structure", Cambridge, 1988.

4. A PhD that is already completed or will clearly be completed by Jan 1 1990.
The starting date is inflexible because the job is designed to coincide with a
six month visit to the University of Toronto by Tim Shallice.  Also, it will
not be possible to finish off a PhD or convert a recent PhD into journal
papers during the six month period.

For the right person, this would be an excellent opportunity to work in a
leading connectionist group with excellent simulation facilities and with
close collaboration with a neuropsychologist who has a detailed understanding
of connectionist models.  One example of the kind of research we have in mind
is described in "Lesioning a connectionist network: Investigations of acquired
dyslexia" by Hinton and Shallice.  To order this TR, send email requesting
CRG-TR-89-3 to carol at ai.toronto.edu

Applications should be made in writing to

Geoffrey Hinton
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
10 Kings College Road
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A4
Canada

Please enclose a full CV, a copy of a recent relevant TR or paper, and the
names addresses and phone numbers of three referees.  The salary is
negotiable, but will be approximately $20,000 for six months for a person with
a PhD.  I will be in europe until the end of July, so no replies will be
forthcoming for a while.

Geoff Hinton