Abstract available

Juergen Schmidhuber schmidhu at tumult.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Sep 27 07:26:30 EDT 1988

This is the abstract of an extended abstract of the description of
some ongoing work that will be presented at the conference
`Connectionism in Perspective' in Zurich.

	           THE NEURAL BUCKET BRIGADE
		      Juergen Schmidhuber

For several reasons standard back-propagation (BP) in recurrent networks
does not make too much sense in typical non-stationary environments.
We identify the main problem of BP in not being `really local',
meaning that BP is not what we call `local in time'. Doing some
constructive criticism we introduce a learning method for neural
networks that is `really local' and still allows credit-assignment
for states that are `hidden in time'.

For those who are interested in the extended abstract
there are copies available. (There also will be a more detailed
and more formal treatment in the proceedings of CiP.)
Include a physical address in your reply.

                                               Juergen