I love BP. But your time is over. (News from Japan).

Hideki KAWAHARA kawahara at av-convex.ntt.jp
Sat Sep 17 09:47:31 EDT 1988

I love BP. But, your time is over.

I presented our new method for designing feedforward artificial
neural networks, which can approximate arbitrary continuous
mapping from n-dimensional hyper-cube to m-dimensional space,
at the IEICE-Japan technical meeting on 16/Sept./1988.
The method SPAN (Saturated Projection Algorithm for
Neural network design) can incorporate a-priori
knowledge on the mapping to be approximated.
Computational steps required for training a specific network are
several hundredth or thousandth of those required by
conventional BP procedures.

SPAN, I hope, will replace considerable amount of
thoughtless applications of BP, which usually found
in this feverish atmosphere of Neuro-computing in Japan.
And I also hope this will let researchers to change their attentions
to the more essential problems (representations, dynamics,
associative memory, inference....and so on).

This doesn't mean that SPAN covers BP completely.
Instead, SPAN is cooperative with BP, LVQ by Kohonen,
and many other neural algorithms.
Only thoughtless applications will be discouraged.

The IEICE technical report is already available on your request.
However, it is written in Japanese.
The elaborated English version will be available by the end
of this year.
If you interested in our report, please mail to the
address given at the end of this mail.