No subject

Clay M Bond bondc at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Sat Sep 10 20:28:17 EDT 1988

Geoff Hinton:

>In a recent message, Bever claims the following:
>
>"We have demonstrated (Lachter and Bever, 1988; Bever, 1988) that existing
>connectionist models learn to simulate rule-governed behavior only insofar as
>the relevant structures are built into the model or the way it is fed.  What
>
>This claim irks me since I have already explained to him that there are
>connectionist networks that really do discover representations that are not
>built into the initial network ...

I might say the same.  The current project I am working on, along with Elise
Breen, though in its infant stages, is an iac acquisition net, and no rele-
vant structures, as Bever calls them, were built in.  Our results so far are
promising, though inconclusive.

I do not see, however, why one should expect mentalists to take data into
account.  They have always scorned data in favor of "intuition".

<<  Clay Bond     Indiana University Department of Linguistics  >>
<<                ARPA:  bondc at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             >>