VERY brief note on Steven Harnad's reply to answers

Steve Pinker steve at cogito.mit.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:13:20 EDT 1988

In his reply to our answers to his questions, Harnad
Harnad writes that:

	-Looking at the actual behavior and empirical fidelity of
	 connectionist models is not the right way to test
	 connectionist hypotheses;

	-Developmental, neural, reaction time, and brain-damage data
	 should be put aside in evaluating psychological theories.

	-The meaning of the word "learning" should be stipulated to
	 apply only to extracting statistical regularities
	 from input data.

	-Induction has philosophical priority over innatism.

We don't have much to say here (thank God, you are probably all
thinking). We disagree sharply with the first two claims, and have no
interest whatsoever in discussing the last two.

Alan Prince
Steven Pinker