"Technical Note Available"

Juergen Schmidhuber unido!tumult!schmidhu at uunet.UU.NET
Mon Jun 6 14:28:34 EDT 1988

Here is the abstract of a technical note on accelerated learning
in neural networks. Write or send email to obtain a copy.

      Accelerated Learning in Back-Propagation Nets

      Juergen Schmidhuber, Institut fuer Informatik
	     Technische Universitaet Muenchen
		       Arcisstr. 21
                 8000 Muenchen 2, Germany

Two of the most serious problems with back-propagation
are insufficient speed and the danger of getting stuck
in local minima. We offer an approach to cope with both of these
problems: Instead of using bp to find zero-points of the
gradient of the error-surface we are looking
for zero-points of the error-surface
itself. This can be done with less computational effort than
there is in second order methods.  Experimental results
indicate that in cases where only a small fraction of units is
active simultaneously, this method can be applied successfully.
Furthermore it can be significantly faster than conventional bp.

			           Juergen Schmidhuber