[TERU: Novelty of Neural Net Approach]

goddard@aurel.caltech.edu goddard at aurel.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 22 14:26:37 EDT 1988

>   Conventional Systems                    Neural Net (Connectionist) Systems
>

>8. have complex structure                  have rather uniform structure
>..
>10. designed or programmed with            learn from examples;
>   rules specifying the system             may self-organize
>   behavior

Real (biological) neural networks have very complex computational structure.
Ask any computational neuroscientist.  Connectionist networks will
need complex structure to solve hard problems.  There is also a
significant amount of genetically determined structure in real neural
systems.  We will also have to pre-structure artificial systems, to
bootstrap the subsequent learning.

Nigel Goddard