[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Reihaneh Rabbany -- Feb 06

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 3 10:28:20 EST 2018

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Feb 06, at noon in *NSH 1507*
for AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the AI Seminar webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Reihaneh Rabbany <http://www.reirab.com/> will give the
following talk:

Title: Mining Connections

Abstract:

Connections are ubiquitous in different domains; from collaborations and
associations between people, to proteins and genes interacting to carry out
a biological function. To study the structure and dynamics of the
interconnected world around us, we need models and algorithms that
integrate three principal elements: connection, content, and time. In order
to achieve these integrated models, I will discuss bringing machine
learning, network science, and data mining together. As a step toward this
direction, I talk about narrowing the gap between clustering (based on
content), community detection (using connections), and extending them to
the dynamic settings (time). Throughout the talk, I will give examples from
the broader impacts of this research in computational social science,
combating online human trafficking, and educational data mining.