[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Rogelio Cardona-Rivera -- May 10th, 2016

Ellen Vitercik vitercik at cs.cmu.edu
Thu May 5 19:29:23 EDT 2016

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you this Tuesday, May 10th, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit the AI
Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Rogelio Cardona-Rivera will give a talk titled "Toward the
Holodeck: Computational Models of Interactive Narrative and their relation
to Human Cognition."

*Abstract:* Interactive narratives are used for an ever-expanding array of
purposes: educational settings, training simulations, and even
organizational behaviors have had narratives woven around them because
these are made more compelling in a dramatic framing. Despite their
ubiquity, they remain difficult to engineer. One reason is because we lack
a precise understanding of human narrative intelligence, which would
explain how we interact with stories. In this talk, I will present my
approach to developing a computational-cognitive model of narrative
affordances, which centers on predicting how users imagine themselves
taking actions in an unfolding narrative virtual environment. I will
discuss this approach in the context of applications of automated planning
and activity recognition to model a user's search of an author's intended
meaning. Concluding the talk I will discuss the potential for this approach
to enable more engaging narrative experiences, through the next generation
of intelligent and adaptive virtual environments.

*Speaker Bio:* Rogelio Cardona-Rivera is an ABD Ph.D. Candidate in Computer
Science at North Carolina State University. He researches technologies to
improve interactive narrative design and development through artificial
intelligence and cognitive science. Rogelio has been a recipient of the
National GEM Fellowship, and the Department of Energy's Computational
Science Graduate Fellowship. Rogelio has published at diverse, high-impact
venues in and around intelligent narrative technologies. His work has been
recognized with a Best Paper Award at the International Conference on
Interactive Digital Storytelling (ICIDS) in 2012, a Best Student Paper on a
Cognitive Science Topic at the Workshop on Computational Models of
Narrative in 2012, and an Honorable Mention for Best Paper at the
Computer-Human Interaction Conference in 2016. He has served on numerous
program committees, and will co-chair the Intelligent Narrative
Technologies track at ICIDS in 2016. Rogelio received his B.Sc. in Computer
Engineering from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez and has interned
as a computational narratologist at Sandia National Laboratories and Disney
Research.

Best,
Ellen and Ariel