[ACT-R-users] ICCM: running studies online workshop online, Symposium on Cog Arch, neurocourse

Frank Ritter frank.ritter at PSU.EDU
Sat May 30 16:00:25 EDT 2020

There are two online events that I thought you might be interested in,
and one online event looking for TAs and mentors. Sorry for the lack of
formatting this time. Looks like high value items with short time till
they happen, so sent informally.  ICCM papers are under review right now.

[1] a running online studies symposium, and

[2] a symposium on cognitive architectures

[3] a neurocourse looking for mentors and TAs

Bonus: books and journals available as PDFS

Oh, and our tutor has a new section on masks: http://StopTheSpread.health

The D2P-STOP tutor is a computer-based tutor that teaches knowledge to
help interrupt the transmission of COVID-19 caused by the Sars-Cov-2
virus. These skills are also applicable to other respiratory pathogens
and will also generally help decrease infections.

1. June 5 (Fri) 9:30am(PDT)/12:30pm(EDT):
Webinar on using video-chat for online developmental research (Hyowon Gweon)

From: Hyowon Gweon <hyo at stanford.edu>
To: "cogdevsoc at lists.cogdevsoc.org" <cogdevsoc at lists.cogdevsoc.org>,
"Announcements at lists.cognitivesciencesociety.org"

Dear colleagues,

The use of online research methods in behavioral sciences has been
rising for the past years. Especially due to the current pandemic, many
developmental researchers are starting to consider conducting online
research. Among various options, video-chat is particularly useful for
studies that benefit from having live social interactions with child
participants. Rather than a temporary solution during the COVID-19
situation, we see video-chats as a promising source of high-quality data
to complement traditional in-person testing and increase the diversity
of our participant pools.

To share practical information about video-chat methods and help
researchers make informed decisions, two teams have joined forces to
host a webinar: Mark Sheskin (TheChildLab.com<http://TheChildLab.com>,
with Frank Keil) who has years of experience conducting online
video-chat studies using AdobeConnect, and Hyo Gweon (Social Learning
Lab<http://sll.stanford.edu>, with Aaron Chuey and Megan Merrick) who
has been developing and sharing materials for running studies via Zoom.

We will demo example study sessions, compare different options
(especially Zoom, AdobeConnect), and discuss best practices for the
field moving forward. We hope that by the end of the webinar, you will
have a clearer sense of how to start your own online research!

Event: Video-chat Studies for Developmental Research: Options and Best
practices
Date & Time: June 5 (Friday), 9:30am - 11am PDT / 12:30pm - 2pm EDT
Where: Please register at http://tiny.cc/cogdev for a free ticket. We
will send out a zoom webinar link to participants before the event.

Please feel free to share this email with your students, colleagues, and
anyone else you think might be interested.

Hope to see you there!

Hyo Gweon, Mark Sheskin, Aaron Chuey, Megan Merrick

Hyowon Gweon, PhD

Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Stanford University

Web: sll.stanford.edu.    Phone: +1 (650) 498-1194

Cognitive architecture symposium

(apologies for multiple emails - you might get even more...)
A funny thing happened in inviting some additional speakers to talk at
the Soar workshop. They all said yes. Instead of just expanding the
Soar workshop to incorporate all of those talks, we decided to create
a new symposium: VISCA-2020, the Virtual International Symposium on
Cognitive Architecture. We are moving the Soar workshop to June 3, and
VISCA will be June 4-5. The complete announcement for VISCA is
attached. Please visit http://visca.engin.umich.edu to learn more and
register for the symposium. (You need to register separately for
VISCA.)

John Laird

[3]

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSen1oyFWIQ38vlBSxUdlWU4AwQ_UYGqQZcGAS_cEmMdN6cdNw/viewform

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4aL49WV_dnt7WlXjEwsY8Mb30I2E0VHa8LROYPcmmwkzLdw/viewform

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSef-slmLcnVT7H-wkM-7wT5ePBh3TVg7UXzl7FP9C17ciojxQ/viewform

 > --
 > Brad Wyble
 > Associate Professor
 > Psychology Department
 > Penn State University
 >

 > http://wyblelab.com

BONUS:

https://about.muse.jhu.edu/resources/freeresourcescovid19/

Free Resources on MUSE During COVID-19

of COVID-19, Project MUSE is pleased to support its participating
publishers in making scholarly content temporarily available for free on
our platform. With many higher education institutions moving into an
exclusively online learning environment for the foreseeable future, we
hope that easy access to vetted research in the humanities and social
sciences, from a variety of distinguished university presses, societies,
and related not-for-profit publishers, will help to support teaching,
learning, and knowledge discovery for users worldwide.

Read the full announcement about free access to MUSE content.. To assist
libraries with making the temporarily-free books and journals easily
discoverable by users, we have created collections and associated
metadata files, available in our library resources. Please contact MUSE
Customer Support with any questions.