[ACT-R-users] Postdoc available at NRL

Greg Trafton greg.trafton at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 10 15:10:14 EST 2020

Hi, all, and happy new year (a bit late)!  I’m looking for a postdoc.  The following is mostly about robotics, but we do a lot of modeling in many different areas, so if you’re interested and don’t fit perfectly into the following, please send me an email and let’s see if we can work something out.

The Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence
(NCARAI) at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington DC is
looking for 1-2 postdocs to join our team.  Our team is
multidisciplinary and includes roboticists, perception scientists,
cognitive scientists, and computer scientists.

Our lab's focus is primarily on human robot interaction from a
computational cognitive and social perspective.  We have openings for
postdocs who specialize in:

* Human Robot Interaction
* Cognitive Robotics
* Agency
* Social norms and social modeling
* Teaming
* Manipulation
* Perception
* Cognitive Modeling

We are currently recruiting for a project that focuses on interactive
perceptual learning, cognitive/social interaction, and robot teaming.

We will consider people with expertise in any area of robotics,
cognitive, or social sciences, though an open mind, an ability to work
well in medium size groups, and a strong publishing record are all
required.

Our postdoc deadline is February 1, so please contact me immediately
(greg.trafton at nrl.navy.mil <mailto:greg.trafton at nrl.navy.mil>) if you are interested in becoming a
postdoc with us.  Our postdoc positions typically last for 2-3 years.
You must be a US citizen to apply for this position.  Pay is ~80K and
includes health insurance, a moving allowance, and a travel allowance;
details about the postdoc program itself are available at
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/careers/post-doc/nrc <https://www.nrl.navy.mil/careers/post-doc/nrc>

We have outstanding facilities and resources.  Our newest platforms
are three HUBO-DRC+ robots.  We also have three MDS anthropomorphic
robots, each with highly expressive heads and torsos with close to 50
DOF.

Our lab is a 50,000 square foot facility (the Laboratory for
Autonomous Systems Research), which has unique environmental high bays
and laboratories for experimentation. The hallmark is a 150x75x30
reconfigurable high bay, which will has full motion capture coverage
over the entire space, floodable areas and many more features to
support state-of-the-art research. Other environments within our new
facility include: a live-growth tropical rain forest; a desert
environment with rock walls; a littoral environment (which includes a
25 x 50 pool with an adjustable slope on one end and wave generators
on the other end for creating surf conditions); and an outdoor
highland forest environment with water features and "box canyons"
built out of boulders.

For more details about me and our research:

http://gregtrafton.com/about/ <http://gregtrafton.com/about/>
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/aic/content/cognitive-robotics-and-human-robot-interaction <http://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/aic/content/cognitive-robotics-and-human-robot-interaction>

For more details on our new facility:
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/lasr/ <http://www.nrl.navy.mil/lasr/>