[ACT-R-users] iccm: Young Investigator Research Program, AI/HCI lectureship, workshop Cog Robots

Frank Ritter frank.ritter at PSU.EDU
Tue Apr 30 20:56:26 EDT 2019

The large bulletin format precludes quick
announcements.  These three look like great
opportunities but the next newsletter is not
started.  ICCM papers are being reviewed now.
Cheers,  Frank

>From: "GREENWALD, HAL S DR-04 USAF AFMC AFOSR/RTA" <hal.greenwald at us.af.mil>
>To: "comp-neuro at neuroinformatics.be" <comp-neuro at neuroinformatics.be>
>Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 23:21:07 +0000
>Subject: [Comp-neuro] US Air Force Young Investigator Research Program (YIP)
>
>The Air Force's annual Young Investigator
>Research Program (YIP) is an excellent way for
>new principal investigators in the US to
>accelerate their careers in basic research with
>three years of funding at up to $150,000 per
>year. Each year, every AFOSR portfolio can
>nominate one YIP awardee. Especially since the
>Cognitive & Computational Neuroscience portfolio
>is new this year, I wanted to make the
>neuroscience community aware of this opportunity
>(and also of the new portfolio).
>
>Unlike most of AFOSR's research grants that are
>open to researchers worldwide, YIP awards are
>limited to US persons (citizens, nationals, or
>permanent residents) with full-time, permanent
>positions at US institutions who received their
>doctorates no later than April 1, 2012. The
>application deadline for Fiscal Year 2020 awards
>is June 3, 2019.
>
>Program Description: The Air Force YIP supports
>scientists and engineers who have received Ph.D.
>or equivalent degrees within the last seven
>years and show exceptional ability and promise
>for conducting basic research. The objectives of
>this program are:
>1. to foster creative basic research in science and engineering;
>2. enhance early career development of outstanding young investigators;
>3. and increase opportunities for the young
>investigator to recognize the Air Force mission
>and related challenges in science and
>engineering.
>
>Eligibility:  Individual awards are made to U.S.
>institutions of higher education, industrial
>laboratories, or non-profit research
>organizations where the principal investigator
>(PI) is employed on a full-time basis and holds
>a regular position. YIP PIs must be a U.S.
>citizen, national, or permanent resident.
>Researchers working at a Federally Funded
>Research and Development Center or DoD
>Laboratory are not eligible for this
>competition. Research proposals must address
>Research Interests of the Air Force Office of
>Scientific Research, FA9550-19-S-0003, found at
><https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=314753>https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=314753.
>
>Most YIP awards are funded up to $150,000 per
>year for three years, for a total of $450,000.
>Exceptional proposals will be considered
>individually for higher funding levels and/or
>longer duration.
>
>For more information about this funding
>opportunity, please see
><https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=313523>https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=313523.
>Questions about YIP may be sent to
><mailto:afosryip at us.af.mil>afosryip at us.af.mil.

> [...]

The University of Greenwich (London, UK) has an
opening for a full-time, permanent (tenured)
Senior Lectureship in Computer Science,
preferably in Human-Computer Interaction or
Artificial Intelligence.

Further details and online application form:
<https://jobs.gre.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=4857>https://jobs.gre.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=4857

Closing Date: 05 May 2019
Informal enquiries: M.Cavazza at greenwich.ac.uk

NEURONAL DYNAMICS FOR COGNITIVE ROBOTICS

held August 26-30, 2019 at the Institute for Neural Computation,
Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany, coordinated by Prof. Dr. Gregor Schöner.

Neuronal dynamics provide a powerful theoretical language for the design
and modeling of embodied and situated cognitive systems.
This school provides a hands-on and down-to-earth introduction to
neuronal dynamics ideas and enables participants to become productive
within this framework.

The school is aimed at advanced undergraduate or graduate students,
postdocs and faculty members in embodied cognition, cognitive science,
and robotics.

The school combines tutorial lectures in the mornings with hands-on
projects working with robotic systems.
Participants will develop their own modeling project, which will connect
to their ongoing doctoral or postdoctoral research.

Topics addressed include neural dynamics, attractor dynamics and
instabilities, dynamic field theory, neuronal representations,
artificial perception, simple forms of cognition including detection and
selection decisions, memory formation, learning, and grounding
relational concepts.

For more information see:
https://dynamicfieldtheory.org/events/summer_school_2019/

To apply, please send a CV and a short cover letter with background and
motivation to mathis.richter at ini.rub.de
Selection of participants will begin by May 15, 2019.

--
Thomas Kluth, Ph.D. Candidate
Language & Cognition Group