[ACT-R-users] Dancy's successfully defended ACT-R/Phi PhD dissertation today

Frank Ritter frank.ritter at psu.edu
Mon Mar 17 16:12:34 EDT 2014

just a quick note, if you have been following Chris Dancy's work on
tying ACT-R to a physiology architecture to create ACT-R/Phi, he just
successfully defended his dissertation today.

code, models, papers, available from him.  abstract and title below.

cheers,

Frank

WHY THE CHANGE OF HEART? UNDERSTANDING THE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN
PHYSIOLOGY, AFFECT, AND COGNITION AND THEIR EFFECTS ON DECISION-
MAKING

A Dissertation in Information Sciences and Technology by Christopher
L. Dancy II

How do physiological and affective processes interact with cognitive
processes to change the way we think? How can we better understand
the processes that underlie decision-making and choice behavior? This
dissertation presents a novel hybrid cognitive architecture, ACT-R/?,
which extends the ACT-R cognitive architecture with an integrative
model of physiology and a model of affect and emotion. Extending a
cognitive architecture with representations of affect and physiology
allows the straightforward development of more illustrative
computational process models of human behavior that represent
experimental results from physiology, neuroscience, and psychology.
Computational models were developed that provide an account of how
physiological change due to psychological stress or homeostasis can
modulate cognitive processes. An experiment was run to explore how
subliminal visual emotional stimuli affect physiology and
decision-making behavior during the Iowa Gambling Task. Results
indicate that effects of subliminal affective stimuli were dependent
on participant sex and personality differences. A computational
process model was developed that performs the same task and behaves
similarly to the participants.

Physiological and affective states continually interact with
cognitive processes, biasing memory and consequently decisions.
Evolved adaptations that support physiological and affective change
of behavior (e.g., natural reactions to thirst or hunger) affect the
way we learn and make choices. The ACT-R/? hybrid architecture, and
the theoretical architectural model it is built upon, can be used to
develop models of human behavior that include the necessary accounts
of physiology and affect that describe what the body needs and how
changes in behavior affects these needs. This improved understanding
of the architecture that constrains our behavior gives us a better
opportunity to comprehend why we make the decisions we do and how we
can use this knowledge to make better decisions.