[ACT-R-users] Anybody in ACT-R funded by The HUman Brain Project?

Marieke van Vugt m.k.van.vugt at rug.nl
Thu Jun 12 03:32:34 EDT 2014

Hi Bonnie,
Niels Taatgen and myself submitted a proposal to HBP which got high scores but did not get funded. I don’t think there is any ACT-R involvement in the project (apart from this attempt)—at least as judged from the grant agreement that we received as part of the application procedure.
Best,
Marieke

On Jun 12, 2014, at 1:28 , Bonnie E John <bejohn at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Folks,
> I heard a great talk today by Prof.Sean Hill of the EU's Human Brain Project.
> In it he alluded to their being some researchers that work from high-level theories of human behavior, like problem-solving and other things that ACT-R has traditionally done, but he didn't know the names off the top of his head of those researchers. (Evidently there are 200+ researchers currently funded). It seems like a natural for ACT-R involvement if they indeed want converging research approaches from high-level down as well as low-level up.
> So I wondered if anybody from ACT-R was in this project.
> Anyone?
> Thanks,
> Bonnie
>

> Title:  "The Human Brain Project: Building the Brain from Big Data”
> Abstract:
> Understanding the human brain is one of the greatest scientific challenges of our time. Such an understanding will lead to fundamentally new computing technologies, transform the diagnosis and treatment of brain diseases, and provide profound insights into our humanity. The goal of the Human Brain Project (HBP) is to pull together all our existing knowledge about the human brain and to reconstruct the brain, piece by piece, in supercomputer-based models and simulations. The models offer the prospect of a new understanding of the human brain and its diseases and of completely new computing and robotic technologies. The HBP infrastructure will consist of a tightly linked network of six informatics-based platforms, which will operate as a resource both for core HBP research and for external projects, chosen by competitive call. The HBP will drive innovation in information technology, creating new technologies for interactive supercomputing, visualization and big data analytics; federated analysis of globally distributed data; simulation of the brain and other complex systems; objective classification of disease; scalable and configurable neuromorphic computing systems, based on the brain’s principles of computation and cognition and its architectures.
>
> Link: https://www.humanbrainproject.eu/

Marieke van Vugt, PhD
Assistant Professor, Cognitive Modeling Group
Bernoulliborg, room 326
Nijenborgh 9
9747 AG Groningen
The Netherlands