[ACT-R-users] Question on a specific difference between ACT* and ACT-R

lionel.marquis at unil.ch lionel.marquis at unil.ch
Thu Sep 12 19:32:38 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have only basic level in ACT-R or similar models of memory
functioning. The aspect I am most interested in is the "spreading
activation" part of ACT-R.

Here is my question. In earlier versions of the model (i.e., ACT*)
there was a parameter p to account for the fact that "the total
activation emitted by a node is less than its own activation, that is,
if ai is the activation of node i, it sends p*ai units of activation
to all connected nodes where p<1. Because of this factor, the amount
of activation decreases exponentially with distance from source"
(Anderson & Pirolli 1974: 794).

In later versions (i.e., ACT-R), this parameter p had dropped from the
equations. What are the (theoretical or empirical) reasons for
removing p? Or is the idea behind factor p somehow still accounted
for, but in a different form?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help on this particular point !

Best regards,
Lionel Marquis

Lionel Marquis
Institut d'Etudes Politiques et Internationales
University of Lausanne
Switzerland
Bâtiment Géopolis 4779
Tél: +41 21 692 31 56