[ACT-R-users] what does negative decay mean?

Varun Dutt varundutt at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 23:23:00 EST 2013

Hi Coty,

In ACT-R, a negative decay would imply a perfect memory (i.e., where the activation of instances increase over time). In my knowledge, there is only one paper that has found empirical (experimental) evidence of a negative decay value:
http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/papers/667/p1133.pdf

These authors tested it for an experiment involving arousal and recall. They found that a negative decay is better suited to  model highly aroused individuals compared to low aroused individuals.

Best,Varun--Varun Dutt, M.S., Ph.D.Co-advisor, International RelationsFaculty Advisor,Undergraduate studentsAssistant ProfessorSchool of Computing and Electrical EngineeringSchool of Humanities and Social SciencesIndian Institute of Technology Mandi, India