[ACT-R-users] Doctoral student position at the University ofLausanne Faculty for Business and Economics (HEC): Cognitive modeling of decision making processes

Marewski, Julian marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Jul 4 11:34:27 EDT 2011

 Apologies for cross-posting

Dear all,

I seek candidates for a doctoral student position at the Department of
Organizational Behavior of the Faculty for Business and Economics at the
University of Lausanne, Switzerland. Since the position can start as
early as the summer/fall 2011, I'd like to spread the word quickly. I
would appreciate it if this email could be passed on to potentially
interested students. The student will have virtually no tasks other than
doing her/his research. There are no teaching obligations. Parts of the
research should focus on the mathematical or computational modeling of
human cognitive decision processes and/or on the cognitive mechanisms
underlying bounded rationality in organizations in business, industry,
and/or political contexts. Candidates with an interest in heuristic
decision making and/or ACT-R modeling are especially encouraged to apply
(but prior knowledge of these is not necessary.)  Swiss salaries are
competitive.

Best wishes and many thanks,

Julian

The Department of Organizational Behavior of the Faculty for Business
and Economics

at the University of Lausanne seeks applicants for

Doctoral Student Fellowship

The position (60%) is to begin August 1st, 2011 or later. The contract
is limited to 1 year, and can be prolonged for 2x2 years. The maximum
funding period is 5 years. Successful candidates will obtain a Ph.D. in
Management. The work location is Lausanne Dorigny.

Job description

We seek applicants to work on the cognitive modeling of decision making
processes in organizations in business, industry, and/or political
contexts. We expect Ph.D. candidates to publish their research in
top-tier journals. The candidate is expected to devote at the very least
50% of her/his time to her/his research project, and at the very most
50% (and only if necessary) to support other research, administrative,
and teaching activities. Excellent candidates will be freed as much as
possible to devote their time exclusively to research.

Requirements

Applicants should be interested in the mathematical or computational
modeling of human cognitive decision processes as well as in the
cognitive mechanisms underlying bounded rationality in organizations in
business, industry, and/or political contexts. Knowledge of quantitative
research methods, and ideally, programming skills (e.g., MATLAB, R,
ACT-R) is helpful but not required. A university degree in psychology,
business, economics, mathematics, computer sciences, physics, biology,
or another quantitatively-oriented discipline as well as very good
English skills are required.

Application materials and deadline

Please submit applications by July 15th, 2011.

Applications include  a cover letter describing research interests and a
potential thesis project, curriculum vitae, university transcripts, two
letters of recommendation, previous work transcripts (if available), and
up to two publications (if available). The preferred method of
submission are PDF files e-mailed to the responsible professor, Julian
Marewski (marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
<mailto:marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de> ).

The Department of Organizational Behavior and Lausanne

The Department of Organizational Behavior of the Faculty for Business
and Economics at the University of Lausanne provides a stimulating,
interdisciplinary research environment. We value the diversity of the
expertise of the members of the department (we have Ph.D.s in business,
management, psychology, and economics) as well as the diversity of the
departments at the Faculty of Business and Economics. We publish in
top-tier journals in different disciplines, including Science,
Psychological Review, and the American Economic Review. Our department's
members come from different countries, and the working language of the
department is English.

Located near Lake Geneva and surrounded by the Jura Mountains and the
French Alps, Lausanne is a beautiful and cosmopolitan spot to live and
work. We have a collegial atmosphere that makes it easy for us to carry
out our research.

Information about the Department of Organizational Behavior is available
at
http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/recherche/unite?set_language=en&unite_id=239&
cl=en
<http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/recherche/unite?set_language=en&unite_id=239
&cl=en>  . Information about the University of Lausanne's Ph.D. program
can be found at
http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/doctorats/phdmanagement/why/welcome
<http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/doctorats/phdmanagement/why/welcome> . More
information about the position can be inquired directly from Julian
Marewski (marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
<mailto:marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de>  and
http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/en/staff/julian-marewski
<http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/en/staff/julian-marewski> ).

Disclaimer: This ad stills requires final official approval from the
University of Lausanne.