[ACT-R-users] reading for the New Year

Richard L. Lewis rickl at umich.edu
Mon Jan 4 14:47:32 EST 2010

Hi folks,

Reading for "the new decade" seemed a little presumptuous, but these
recent papers might be of interest to some in the short term.  You can
follow the links directly below, but I hope you'll also visit our new
website:   http://www-personal.umich.edu/~rickl/

Howes, A., Lewis, R. L., and Vera, A. H. (2009). Rational adaptation
under task and processing constraints: Implications for testing
theories of cognition and action. Psychological Review, 116(4):
717-751.      [Understanding behavior as the adaptation to joint task
and architecture constraints, deriving boundedly optimal task
strategies, accounting for individual differences, and a new approach
to teasing apart the contributions of architecture and strategy].
DOWNLOAD PDF

Vasishth, S., Bruessow, S., Lewis, R. L., and Drenhaus, H. (2008).
Processing polarity: How the ungrammatical intrudes on the
grammatical. Cognitive Science, 32(4):685-712.   [Confirming a novel
prediction from the ACT-R theory of sentence processing that Shravan
Vasishth and I have been working on:  the existence of "grammatical
illusions" (patently ungrammatical strings that are sometimes
perceived as grammatical)]    DOWNLOAD PDF

Singh, S., Lewis, R. L., and Barto, A. G. (2009). Where do rewards
come from? In Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Cognitive
Science Society, pages 2601-2606, Amsterdam.    [Extends the standard
reinforcement learning framework by separating fitness from reward,
providing a framework for deriving (optimal) reward functions.  There
will shortly be several more papers out on this,  but this is a
start.]    DOWNLOAD PDF

Jonides, J., Lewis, R. L., Nee, D. E., Lustig, C. A., Berman, M. G.,
and Moore, K. S. (2008). The mind and brain of short-term memory.
Annual Review of Psychology, 59:15.1-15.32.    [A review of modern
accounts of  STM in psychology and neuroscience, showing convergence
with approaches in ACT-R, and hypothesizing a set of low-level neural
mechanisms at the base that may surprise you.]    DOWNLOAD PDF

Berman, M. G., Jonides, J., and Lewis, R. L. (2009). In search of
decay in verbal short-term memory. Journal of Experimental Psychology:
Learning, Memory, & Cognition, 35(2):317-333.  [We tried very hard to
find solid evidence for decay, and barely succeeded.  We also tried
very hard to use the data to falsify ACT-R's decay assumption, and
failed. Short term decay seems to skate on thin ice, but it refuses to
go down...]  DOWNLOAD PDF

Marinier, R. P., Laird, J. E., and Lewis, R. L. (2009). A
computational unification of cognitive behavior and emotion. Cognitive
Systems Research, 10(1):48-69   [A deep integration of emotion (via
appraisal theory) and cognitive architecture (via Soar).  This is a
chunk of Bob Marinier's thesis.]    DOWNLOAD PDF

Happy New Year!

-rick

Richard L. Lewis			rickl at umich.edu
Professor 					http://www-personal.umich.edu/~rickl/
Department of Psychology	 		Voice:  (734) 763-1466
University of Michigan 				Fax:    (734) 763-7480
530 Church Street 				Office:  East Hall 4428F
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1043