[ACT-R-users] Grad School Opportunity in Cognitive Science

Wayne Gray grayw at rpi.edu
Thu Nov 26 10:09:12 EST 2009

Pardon for resending but someone asked me if this was a job or
graduate school (there is a difference?). I hope this makes the
message more explicit - Wayne

Graduate Research Assistants
The CogWorks Laboratory in the Cognitive Science Department at
Rensselaer has funding for new Graduate Students to work as Graduate
Research Assistants beginning in AY2010 (beginning August 2010).
Graduate funding (tuition and stipend) is guaranteed for a minimum of
4-yrs. In the past, all graduate students in good standing have been
funded to the completion of their PhD degree.

The theme to our work is the Cognitive Science of Natural Interaction
with a focus on the integration of perception, motor, and cognitive
operations. This work has focused on human-technology, human-
information, and (most recently) human-human interactions. We see the
human-human interactions as part of Cognitive Social Science; namely,
an approach to traditional social psychology type questions that is
rooted in cognitive science theory, modeling approaches, and
methodologies. Recent work in human-technology interaction includes
the study of fast-paced action games. In our premier gaming project we
have collected EEG, eye data, and behavioral data, and are building
computational cognitive models of expert game play as a means to
understanding the control problems in real-time interactive behavior.
We are also building models of airline pilots who get lost or confused
while taxingly on the ground from the runway to the gate. Our work on
human-information interaction has focused on the cognitive control of
multitasking, interruptions, errors, and other common human behaviors
which turn out to be incredibly hard to understand.

We are looking for people with good computer science and mathematics
skills and an intense interest in cognitive science!

To apply contact: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/admissions/graduate/index.html

For more information contact:

**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**
Wayne D. Gray;
Professor of Cognitive Science &
Professor of Computer Science

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Carnegie Building (rm 108) ;;for all surface mail & deliveries
110 8th St.; Troy, NY 12180

EMAIL: grayw at rpi.edu, Office: 518-276-3315, Fax: 518-276-3017

for general information see: http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/
for On-Line publications see: http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/pubs/downloadable_pubs.htm