[ACT-R-users] post-doctoral position in cognitive modeling

Professor Ron Sun rsun at rpi.edu
Sat Mar 21 17:01:22 EDT 2009

I am looking for a post-doctoral researcher, to join in a basic
research project investigating cognitive modeling, cognitive
architectures, and cognitive social simulation.

The starting date is August 1, 2009 (although a slight change,
say by a month, is also possible). This will be a full-time
research position, with the expectation that you devote 90% of your
time to project-related research work (not your own research
topics).

Prospective applicants should have a finished Ph.D degree.
They should have a background in computer science (the equivalent of a
BS in computer science), with strong Java programming skills,
and have prior exposure to psychology and cognitive science
(with background in cognitive architectures, human and machine
learning, motivation, or social psychological modeling preferred),
and other related areas.

Prospective applicants with expertise and interests in cognitive
science should
apply by EMAILing  me: (1) a complete vitae, and (2) samples of best
prior writings (published papers), and also FAX me (3) GRE/TOEFL
scores (if available),  and  (4) copies of the transcripts of the BS,
MS, Ph.D programs
previously attended.  Also send me the reference letters (if available).

See the following Web page regarding my research (in the afore-described
areas and in other areas):   http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun

Two sample publications are downloadable from my Web site:
  R. Sun, E. Merrill, and T. Peterson, From implicit skills to
  explicit knowledge: A bottom-up model of skill learning. Cognitive
  Science, Vol.25, No.2, pp.203-244. 2001.
  http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun.cs01.pdf

  R. Sun, P. Slusarz, and C. Terry, The interaction of the explicit
  and the implicit in skill learning: A dual-process approach.
  Psychological Review, Vol.112, No.1, pp.159-192. 2005.
  http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun-pr2005-f.pdf

RPI is a top-tier research university.  The new CogSci department
has identified research as its primary missions. The department is
conducting research in a number of areas:   cognitive architectures,
cognitive modeling, human and machine learning, multi-agent
interactions and social simulation, neural networks and connectionist
models,  human and machine reasoning, cognitive engineering,
perception and motor control, and so on.

RPI is located in historic Troy NY, in the Hudson River Valley,
approximately 5 miles North of Albany, NY. It is three hours
south of Montreal, 2.5 hours west of Boston, and two hours north
of New York City, to which Amtrak runs several trains daily. The
Albany area is notable for many things, including its affordable
housing, cultural events (e.g., the famed Saratoga Performing
Arts Center), and proximity to outdoor recreation (e.g.,
hiking/skiing in the Adirondack, White, Green, and Berkshire
Mountains).

Professor Ron Sun
Cognitive Science Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute