[ACT-R-users] First Announcement and CFP: Remembering Who We Are - Human Memory for Artificial Agents at AISB 2010

Holger Schultheis schulth at sfbtr8.uni-bremen.de
Thu Aug 13 11:41:39 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

Please see below the first CFP for the human memory
modeling symposium.

Cheers,
Holger

***** Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email *******

CALL FOR PAPERS

REMEMBERING WHO WE ARE - HUMAN MEMORY FOR ARTIFICIAL AGENTS

A one day symposium on the 29th March 2010 In conjunction with the AISB
2010 Convention
(http://www.aisb.org.uk/convention/aisb10/AISB2010.html)
De Montfort University, Leicester
(The symposium is supported by the European FP7 Project LIREC
(http://www.lirec.eu/) <http://www.lirec.eu/%29>)

Memory gives us identity, shapes our personality and drives our
reactions to different situations in life. We actively create
expectations, track the fulfilment of these expectations and
dynamically
modify our memory when new experiences demand it. Yet up to date, many
important social aspects of human memory (for instance, emotional
memory
and episodic memory) to artificial intelligent agents have not been
given much attention. The challenge might lie in the amount of memories
one can have in a life time. Take a narrative agent for example, how
can
we generate a lifetime’s worth of memories for this agent? Can we
easily
record human experiences for this purpose? What trust and privacy
issues
will this entail? On the other hand, without this type of memory, can
the agent generate believable life stories given that it is what colors
our lives in retrospect? For an agent that continuously interacts with
users or other agents, how can we design it with the capability to
generate memories worth remembering in its lifetime? How can the agent
record experiences of others during interaction? Can the agent maintain
its relationship with others without any information about its past
experiences with them?

Artificial agent researchers have been constantly coming up with
computational cognitive models inspired by the human brain to create
characters that are more natural, believable and behave in human
plausible ways. However, memory components in these models are usually
oversimplified. Memory components which have been widely accepted and
modelled are the long-term memory including procedural and declarative
memories, the short-term memory and the sensory memory. What about the
more ‘socially-aware’ memory which allows us to be effectively involved
in social interactions and which fundamentally supports the creation of
our life stories including the significance of events and their
emotional impact? It is important to review artificial agents without
this kind of memory particularly those designed for social
interactions,
and reflect on the effects of this shortcoming. Additionally, many
existing models do not take into consideration the bio-mechanisms of
human memory operations such as those involved in retrieval and
forgetting processes. The most commonly adopted approach to forgetting
is decay but the human brain performs other processes such as
generalisation, reconstruction and repression to list a few.

This symposium offers an opportunity for interdisciplinary discussions
on human-like memory for artificial agents including organisational
structures and mechanisms. We hope to bring together memory
researchers,
psychologists, computer scientists and neurologists to discuss issues
on
memory modelling, memory data collection and application to achieve a
better understanding of which, when and how human-like memory can
contribute to artificial agents modelling.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

* Role of memory in artificial agents
* Type of memory and application
* Memory and emotion modelling
* Human-agent/human-robot interaction history
* Effective memory data collection
* Privacy issues related to data collection
* Bio-inspiration to memory modelling
* Memory mechanisms for encoding, storage and retrieval
* Memory influence on reasoning and decision-making
* Modelling forgetting in episodic memory
* Ethological aspects of memory
* Spatial memory

Submission

We are seeking submissions of original papers (up to 8 pages) that fit
well with the symposium theme and topics. Please send the PDF
submissions to Mei Yii Lim (M.Lim at hw.ac.uk <mailto:M.Lim at hw.ac.uk>) and
Wan Ching Ho (W.C.Ho at herts.ac.uk <mailto:W.C.Ho at herts.ac.uk>),
including
in the email text the following information: title of paper, keywords,
author list, contact email, name of attached PDF file. All submissions
will be peer reviewed. Authors of accepted contributions will be asked
to prepare the final versions (up to 8 pages) for inclusion in the
symposium proceedings. At least one author of each accepted paper will
be required to register and attend the symposium to present their work.

Important Dates

* 15th January 2010: Submission deadline of full-length paper
* 8th February 2010: Notification for paper acceptance
* 1st March 2010: Submission of camera-ready final papers
* 29th March 2010: Symposium

Program Committee

Cyril Brom, Charles University Prague
Sibylle Enz, University of Bamberg
Wan Ching Ho, University of Hertfordshire (co-chair)
Mei Yii Lim, Heriot-Watt University (co-chair)
Andrew Nuxoll, University of Portland
Alexei Samsonovich, George Mason University
Holger Schultheis, University of Bremen
Dan Tecuci, University of Texas
Patricia Vargas, Heriot-Watt University

Official Website

http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~myl/AISBRWWA.html
<http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/%7Emyl/AISBRWWA.html>

Contact

Dr. Mei Yii Lim
Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, EH14 4AS, UK
Email: M.Lim at hw.ac.uk <mailto:M.Lim at hw.ac.uk>
Homepage: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~myl/ <http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/%
7Emyl/>
Tel: (44) 131 4514162