[ACT-R-users] Production satiation (UNCLASSIFIED)

Kelley, Troy (Civ,ARL/HRED) tkelley at arl.army.mil
Tue May 15 10:15:19 EDT 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

ACT-R users,

I was wondering, and I have never heard of this, if there a concept of
production satiation in ACT-R, or someway to implement such a concept?
This seems to be a common problem in ACT-R where a production will
continue to fire over and over and it is difficult to stop.  I
understand that the solution is to change the activation of a chunk so
that something else will match, but this is difficult to accomplish when
the matching chunk keeps increasing in activation, thus causing more
matches.  I remember a few ACT-R workshops back that someone, I think
Richard Young, presented the idea of a production refractory period, and
I was wondering if this idea has ever gained any ground?  Or are there
other ideas of satiation within ACT-R?  I am asking this because we are
having trouble with our robot performing the same productions over and
over.  Again, I understand that we need to activate other chunks to
cause a different match, but the question is - Where does this increased
activation come from?  Is this a meta-cognitive function?  If there are
no "new" stimuli from the outside, what triggers an increase in
activation?

Troy D. Kelley
US Army Research Laboratory
Human Research and Engineering Directorate
AMSRD-ARL-HR-SE
Aberdeen, MD, 21005-5425
Ph: 410-278-5869
FAX: 410-278-9523