[ACT-R-users] Question concerning the new utility learning algo

John Anderson ja+ at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 16 08:17:04 EST 2007

Thanks for these questions.

The time between production and reward is subtracted from the reward
for that production giving a discount.  This fact is relevant to your
question below.  The motivations for these choices was to make the
behavior of the new utility learning mechanism similar to the current
in terms of the reward a production receives.   The new system is
simpler and extends to a greater variety of situations (i.e.,
variable rewards and rewards not tied to productions).

You are right, however, that the averaging mechanism is different.
We may revisit the averaging mechanism but it has the following
attractive properties: (1) It discounts past experiences; (2) it is
very simple computationally; (3) it is basically the simple learning
rule that has a long and successful history that goes at least to
Bush & Mosteller (1955) and, indeed, has similarities to TD(lambda).

The new mechanism receives further discussion in my forthcoming book.

  I remind everyone that the old mechanism is still available within
the new release.  We strive not to upset anyone's work or mandate
changes.