[ACT-R-users] Positive Feedback and Memory strengthening

Lynne Reder reder at cmu.edu
Mon Feb 20 17:59:02 EST 2006

Phil,

Concerning your assumption concerning students and question answering,
I want to mention that in a number of studies i conducted about 20
years ago, I showed that people's tendency to look for a specific
answer to a question vs. use a plausible reasoning strategy could
easily be affected by the base rate of success with the strategy.  It
could also be manipulated by specific instructions.  I also looked at
this with the elderly and found that old subjects had a greater
propensity to use plausible reasoning than "direct retrieval"
presumably because the latter strategy was more difficult for them.

the main point is that college students were quite adaptive in changing
their question-answering strategy.  Further I debriefed them and there
was no evidence that they were aware of what strategy they were using
nor of the base rates I manipulated.  This finding has been replicated
many times by Lovett, Schunn, me and Lebiere (in various combinations).

--Lynne

p.s.  Below are a couple of the papers that showed this.  the can be
downloaded from my website (URL below)  if interested.

  Reder, L.M., (1987). Strategy selection in question answering.
Cognitive Psychology, 19(1), 90-138.

  Reder, L.M., Wible, C., & Martin, J. (1986). Differential memory
changes with age: Exact retrieval versus plausible inference. Journal
of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 12(1),
72-81.