[ACT-R-users] New Publication

Wayne Gray grayw at rpi.edu
Mon Aug 7 14:13:57 EDT 2006

ACT-R Folks:

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of:

Gray, W. D., Sims, C. R., Fu, W.-T., & Schoelles, M. J. (2006). The
soft constraints hypothesis: A rational analysis approach to resource
allocation for interactive behavior. Psychological Review, 113(3),
461-482.

(abstract follows below)

Our concern for resource allocation is something that arose in the
context of trying to determine the right set of tradeoffs between
acquiring knowledge in-the-world versus retrieving knowledge from in-
the-head in the context of our work in building ACT-R models of the
Argus Prime task. (Note that this is not an ACTR or an Argus Prime
paper. No ACTR or Argus Prime models are discussed or included in the
current publication.)

Although the current paper does not include an ACTR model, ACTR
modelers might find our Ideal Performer Model interesting for some of
the following reasons (in addition to the reasons that non-ACTR
modelers might find the work interesting):

We use a type of reinforcement learning, Q-learning, that  (in our
use of this technique) is formally guaranteed to optimize performance
in terms of minimizing time.

We pull out of ACTR several important components which we then embed
in our Ideal Performer Model:

We use the Rational Activation Theory of memory that has been the
default memory for all ACTR models from 1.0 thru 6.0. We use this to
provide retrieval times as well as probabilities for successful
retrieval.

 From ACTR models of Blocks World (partially reported in  Gray, W.
D., Schoelles, M. J., & Sims, C. R. (2005). Adapting to the task
environment: Explorations in expected value. Cognitive Systems
Research, 6(1), 27-40) we pull out time estimates for perceptual-
motor activity.

Wayne

ABSTRACT
Soft constraints hypothesis (SCH) is a rational analysis approach
that holds that the mixture of perceptual-motor and cognitive
resources allocated for interactive behavior is adjusted based on
temporal cost-benefit tradeoffs. Alternative approaches maintain that
cognitive resources are in some sense protected or conserved in that
greater amounts of perceptual-motor effort will be expended to
conserve lesser amounts of cognitive effort. One alternative, the
minimum memory hypothesis (MMH), holds that people favor strategies
that minimize the use of memory. SCH is compared with MMH across 3
experiments and with predictions of an Ideal Performer Model that
uses ACT-R’s memory system in a reinforcement learning approach that
maximizes expected utility by minimizing time. Model and data support
the SCH view of resource allocation; at the under 1000-millisecond
level of analysis, mixtures of cognitive and perceptual-motor
resources are adjusted based on their cost-benefit tradeoffs for
interactive behavior.

**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**
Wayne D. Gray; Professor of Cognitive Science
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Carnegie Building (rm 108) ;;for all surface mail & deliveries
110 8th St.; Troy, NY 12180

EMAIL: grayw at rpi.edu, Office: 518-276-3315, Fax: 518-276-3017

for general information see: http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/

for On-Line publications see: http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/pubs/
downloadable_pubs.htm

for the CogWorks Lab see: http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/cogworks/

If you just have formalisms or a model you are doing "operations
research" or" AI", if you just have data and a good study you are
doing "experimental psychology", and if you just have ideas you are
doing "philosophy" -- it takes all three to do cognitive science.

**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**