[ACT-R-users] Measures of semantic distance

Wayne Gray grayw at rpi.edu
Sat Jun 18 08:42:23 EDT 2005

Friends,

For those of you new to the topic of measures of
semantic distance (MSDs) I can recommend a short
and very well-written discussion of how the major
systems differ:

Lemaire, B., & Denhiére, G. (2004). Incremental
construction of an associative network from a
corpus. In K. D. Forbus & D. Gentner & T. Regier
(Eds.), 26th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive
Science Society, CogSci2004. Hillsdale, NJ:
Lawrence Erlbaum Publisher.

There is also a very nice introduction to PMI-IR
written by Peter D. Turney and published as a
Lecture Note inn Computer Science. "Mining the
Web for synonyms: PMI-IR versus LSA on TOEFL."

Unfortunately I do not have the complete citation on this one.

Wayne
--
**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**
Wayne D. Gray; Professor of Cognitive Science

EMAIL: grayw at rpi.edu, Office: 518-276-3315, Fax: 518-276-3017

for general information see: http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/

for On-Line publications see:
http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/pubs/downloadable_pubs.htm

for the CogWorks Lab see: http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/cogworks/

If you just have formalisms or a model you are
doing "operations research" or" AI", if you just
have data and a good study you are doing
"experimental psychology", and if you just have
ideas you are doing "philosophy" -- it takes all
three to do cognitive science.

**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**