[ACT-R-users] Question about chunk recall times

Rhiannon L Weaver rlweaver at stat.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 27 10:33:50 EST 2005

Hi Chris,

That is the equation I get as well.  It simplifies to a polynomial in x if
you rearrange the exponents.   I talked with John about this and I think I
understand it a little bit better now.  The Weibull distribution is coming
from the Gumbel approximation to the distribution of a maximum of
logistics.  So I guess it is saying, the distribution of the retrieval
time, conditional on the fact that the chosen value was a maximum of
competing values, is approximated by the Weibull.  I think, as you noted,
the approximation is better when the activations of the chunks are close.

Thanks for your input!

-Rh

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Chris R. Sims wrote:

> Rhiannon,
>
> When I do the transformation I get the following for the PDF of
> retrieval latencies, conditional on a chunk being selected:

Rhiannon Weaver
PhD student, Statistics
Carnegie Mellon University