[ACT-R-users] Help with typing

Bonnie John Bej at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 5 15:11:00 EDT 2004

Folks,

We are trying to recreate old Keystroke-Level Models and replicate
their match to human data using CogTool, a new tool that uses ACT-R 5
as its underlying cognitive engine (with ACT-RPM 2.1.2 which may be a
bit newer than what is currently packaged with ACT-R 5).

Has anyone validated how ACT-R 5 does transcription typing? Our times
are not matching human data.

We are following the ACT-RPM motor module documentation, using
press-key like it says to do for typing. But we keep getting an
inter-keystroke time that averages about 0.5 sec, which is far slower
than Card, Moran & Newell's estimate for touch typists (200 to 280
msec depending on how skilled). Of course, our models are coming out
way too slow to match human data.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bonnie