[ACT-R-users] stopping pm

Wolfgang Schoppek Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de
Wed Oct 8 06:02:53 EDT 2003

Acknowledging all the efforts of making ACT-R as veridical as
possible, I think we should keep in mind that we don't simulate
humans, but certain aspects of human cognitive processing. So
discussing if a !stop! command would make ACT-R too artificial seems
odd to me when I consider what high level of abstraction ACT-R models
have (I'd even say, should have!). So what about motivation, emotion
and the huge amount of experiential knowledge? I don't want to plead
for a complete coverage of all these issues in ACT-R but rather to
adjust the scale.
  So I think a !stop! command pertaining to (pm-run) would be more
useful than harmful (btw: it would make debugging much easier).
  As for the !bang! syntax, I think we would reduce the sphere of
possible ACT-R users (and uses) dramatically, when we eliminate it.
Many models are explorative, (and sometimes a rough explorative model
can be more informative than a model that was painfully tuned to one
data set). In such models one needs the shortcuts permitted by !eval!
and !bind!.
-- Wolfgang
Dr. Wolfgang Schoppek          Universitaet Bayreuth
  Tel.: +49 921 554140
  http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/psychologie/wolfgang.html