[ACT-R-users] masters thesis, with code on the web on testing telephones

Frank E. Ritter ritter at ist.psu.edu
Fri May 16 11:38:28 EDT 2003

Similar to Wayne's email, here's a master's thesis that has just come
out of the lab:

Freed, A. R. (2003). The effects of interface design on telephone
dialing performance (Tech. Report No. 2003-1). Applied Cognitive
Science Lab, School of Information Sciences and Technology, Penn
State.

http://acs.ist.psu.edu/acs-lab/reports/freed03.pdf.

Abstract:

We look at several prototype telephone interfaces with a variety of
tools for automatic testing. Several analyses are presented. The
first analysis uses Fitts' Law to determine the minimum possible
usage time. Fitts' Law provided a quick analysis of the telephones
but did not consider any factors other than target sizes and
distances. The second analysis uses a cognitive model to make
predictions about other factors such as visual search. The model used
an organized search strategy that produced similar behavior to the
experiment subjects but failed for a few extreme interfaces. Although
the model dialing time predictions are too high, we propose that this
model is worth paying attention to because the dialing time orderings
among phones and number of fixations closely follows the observed
data.

The third analysis uses a human experiment to test the predictions
with reaction times and eye-tracking data. The experiment subjects
were able to easily cope with these differences and retain an
organized strategy, but the model
was forced to revert to a random search strategy. The users often
made errors while using interfaces but the cognitive model did not
make the same types of errors.  Our approach should be generalizable
to other types of interfaces, including VCRs, software applications,
and
webpages. Our analysis techniques can eventually remove the need for
expensive and time-consuming user testing, which may be replaced with
analytical and cognitive model analysis.