[ACT-R-users] Modeling ideas

Kelley, Troy tkelley at arl.army.mil
Tue Mar 11 14:59:22 EST 2003

Hello,

I need to model some data with ACT-R, and I would like some ideas as to
how to go about doing the modeling.

First, I need to model the recognition of two types of visual stimuli,
where one stimuli is more recognizable than the other stimuli.  I don't
think I am going to be using P/M, so I don't necessarily have to worry
about how P/M would handle such a task, if it can handle such a task.  I
don't think I will be using an external simulation that PM can access,
but I might if it is the only way to represent the discrimination of
visual stimuli.  I have been thinking of using partial matching to
represent this discrimination problem, but any other ideas would be
appreciated.

Also, I have some data that shows a workload effect on performance after
a certain critical workload level has been reached, which then causes
performance to level off after the critical point has been reached.  So,
I have 3 conditions (easy, medium and hard) and performance is good
during the easy condition, but it changes to be poor performance for
both the medium and hard conditions.  So the workload reaches a critical
point during the medium condition, which negatively effects performance,
and essentially stays that way for the hard condition as well.  Any
ideas on how to model this - "change in performance after a certain
critical point has been reached" - would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy