[ACT-R-users] help with ACT-R 3

Dan Bothell db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 30 09:33:52 EDT 2003

--On Sunday, June 29, 2003 11:49 AM -0400 Kevin Tor <gimpytor at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently inherited an ACT-R 3 model and I am working on cleaning up the
> code around it but, at some point, I would like to upgrade it to ACT-R 5.  I
> have two questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any way that I can still get info on ACT-R 3?

I don't know of anywhere that you can get ACT-R 3 materials, sorry.  It's been
a while, but as I recall ACT-R 3 was very close to ACT-R 4 (anyone who
remembers otherwise please correct me if I'm wrong there).  That would mean
that the book "The Atomic Components of Thought"
<http://act.psy.cmu.edu/book/> would be the best reference for the theory.

> 2.  Is there an easy way without rewriting the model from scratch to move it
> to ACT-R 5 without losing anything?

It would depend on the model, but generally speaking you will have to rewrite
it if you want an actual ACT-R 5 model.  Because ACT-R 5 is mostly backward
compatible with ACT-R 4 I suspect that it would also run an ACT-R 3 model as
well, but just because the model runs using ACT-R 5 doesn't make it an "ACT-R
5 model" .  One of the biggest differences between an ACT-R 4 (or 3) model and
an ACT-R 5 model is how chunks are retrieved from declarative memory and
depending on how much of that the model does will mostly determine the extent
of the rewrite necessary. The difference is that prior to ACT-R 5 the
retrievals occurred on the left hand side (LHS) of a production and there
could be any number of them, but in ACT-R 5 a single retrieval is requested on
the right hand side of one production and then harvested on the LHS of a later
production.  Converting an older model to that style of operation is going to
require rewriting probably most of the productions.

Hope that helps,
Dan