[ACT-R-users] Retrieval of more than one chunk

Shravan Vasishth vasishth at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Sep 16 11:55:08 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm a beginner, so please excuse me if this is a question with an obvious
answer.

Is there any way in ACT-R 5.0 to do the following:

Suppose that a certain production looks like this:

(P example
  =goal>
   isa do-something
   state state1
   slot1 =value1

==>

+retrieval>
  isa something
  slot2 =value1
=goal>
isa  do-something
state state2
)

where the variable =value in the precondition above happens to be
instantiated as the string "somevalue".

The issue is: suppose there are two items in dm that satisfy the
constraint on the retrieval request (+retrieval above), i.e., suppose
there's something like the following in dm:

(item1 isa something
       slot2 somevalue)

(item2 isa something
       slot2 somevalue
       slot3 some-other-value)

I want both items (item1 and item2) to be retrieved, not one or the other
(i.e., I am not modeling retrievel errors at the moment).  There are other
things I want to be able to do (e.g., multiple retrievals such as these
should be more effortful than when only the retrieval of a single chunk is
possible), but for the moment the above problem has brought my modeling
attempts to a grinding halt.

Many thanks in advance,

PS Not relevant to anything above, but in case you're wondering: I'm
sending this message from an old email address because our server
in Germany is misbehaving.

--
Dr. Shravan Vasishth                           Phone: +49 (681) 302 4504
Computational Linguistics, Universität des Saarlandes, Postfach 15 11 50