Competing "retrieval" rule vs compiled "habit" rule?

Erik M. Altmann ema at msu.edu
Wed Mar 20 10:15:11 EST 2002

There's some discussion of post-completion error and prospective
memory from an (one) ACT-R perspective in the recent Altmann &
Trafton paper on memory for goals (linked to the URL below, if your
most recent issue of Cognitive Science isn't handy).  The relevant
gist is that to avoid a post-completion error, or to act on an
intention in a prospective memory task, there has to be an
association created between a cue and a declarative representation of
the to-be-performed goal.  We argue that the way people manage to
avoid most post-completion errors is that through practice, or
deliberate effort, they create associative links between the final
"real" goal (getting the cash from the atm) and the post-completion
goal (removing the atm card from the slot).  In your bread-errand
scenario, you would have to have created an associative link between
some cue related to the bread shop (a mental image of the sign, or a
nearby landmark), such that when you attend to that cue in the actual
environment, it will prime the goal.  The effects of WM load seem to
fit naturally into this framework, because the greater the activation
of distractor elements at that moment (elements related to the
scintillating conversation you are engaged in), the less likely the
relevant goal is to "intrude" on your thoughts such that you break
off, apologize to your conversation partner, and park at the bread
shop.

In terms of implementation, as I've sketched the model it implicates
declarative memory, associative learning, and very general retrieval
productions that simply take whatever's most active in memory at a
given moment, as a function of base-level activation combined with
associative activation.  Though this seems to fit in the general
spirit of the rational memory model, I'm not sure it fits so well
with current modeling practices.

Erik.
--

Erik M. Altmann