Competing "retrieval" rule vs compiled "habit" rule?

John Anderson ja+ at cmu.edu
Wed Mar 20 08:12:02 EST 2002

non-trivial, but I think I can see the broad outline of two kinds of
solution:

One is to relate it to declarative activation as you wish.  If so,
then one could assume that there were more slots of the goal filled
in the high-load condition and a lower probability of retrieving the
key chunk "stop and buy bread" because of less associate activation.
I do not understand why the probability of this would be unaffected
by rehearsal of the chunk as you seem to imply.

The other solution is to relate working memory load to competition
among procedures rather than declarative resource competition.  Then
the model would go something like
1. Assume as you did that there is a "time is right and do it" production.
2. Assume as you do that it is competing with other productions.
3. Lets assume that it has lower priority than these other productions.
4. In the low load condition, just driving, there is only an
occasional production firing and so lots of opportunity for the
time-is-right production to insert itself.
5. In the high load condition, conversation and driving, there are
the additional conversation productions that crowd out the
time-is-right production.
A variant of this would to assume that only the conversation
productions have priority over the time-is-right production.  I guess
that the key concept here is the idea that in the low-load condition
there is a lot of slack time when no production is firing.  This is
very much a feature of 5.0 due to the thorough infusion of R/PM into
the model.

John R. Anderson
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213