unconstrained retrievals

Jerry.Ball at williams.af.mil Jerry.Ball at williams.af.mil
Wed Jun 5 13:40:14 EDT 2002

model.  To control retrieval of previously processed words, I added a status
slot to the declarative memory chunk created when a word is first processed.
The status slot took on the values "used" "pending" or "available".  During
a retrieval, only DM chunks with status "available" were retrieved.  This
worked OK, but it essentially meant adding processing information to
declarative memory chunks.

There is actually a more general declarative memory retrieval problem with
respect to retrieving the most highly activated DM chunk without regard to
the type of the DM chunk.  I was unable to come up with a solution to this
problem other than forcing all chunks to be of the same type.

My current solution uses a circular stack (limited to 7 elements) to
maintain the prior context and to avoid use of the status slot.  The chunks
on the stack are used to do a retrieval from DM.  That is, they provide a
template for the retrieval (including the chunk type).  I view the stack as
a set of activated links to DM chunks.

In the absence of a goal stack in ACT-R 5.0, there appears to be a tendency
to use DM chunks to achieve similar effects.  That is, the slots of the DM
chunk store goal (or subgoal) chunks that would have been put on the goal
stack in ACT-R 4.0.  The circular stack can be viewed as a variant (and
hopefully an improvement) on this theme.

Jerry