competitive learning (equation)?

Richard M Young r.m.young at herts.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 11:25:33 EDT 2002

I feel a bit embarassed about asking what is presumably a rather
basic question, especially with the Summer School going on and the
workshop about to happen, but ... there's frequent mention in emails
and workshop talks about something called "competitive learning" and
its associated equation.  The 1998 book doesn't have an index entry
for it, and Table 12.2 of the basic equations doesn't have one thus
called.

Could someone explain briefly, or give me a pointer, to what
"competitive learning" is?

Thanks,
-- Richard