final poll results.

John Anderson ja+ at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 8 10:54:01 EST 2002

Seven more respondents answered after my initial distribution of the
poll results on Nov 6, raising our total to 19.  There still are some
significant non-respondents (you know who you are) but this probably
gives a pretty good picture of where things stood as of a couple of
months ago (the 7 responded all shortly after the partial results
were distributed).   The conclusions are not dramatically different.
The general conclusions seem that 5.0 is a keeper with lots of use
already, that buffers are a big win, that the jury is out on just how
to treat the goal stack, that there are problems with activation/
competitive latency but few are experiencing them yet, and that
production compilation is receiving little use so far.

>1. With respect to 4.0:
>a. Have you ever worked with it?
  I know there is at least one person who has only worked with 5.0 but
all 19 of these respondents had worked with 4.0

>b. How many research models would you estimate that you have produced in 4.0?
The median was between 5 and 10.

>c. Are you currently using it for research?
9 respondents are

>d. Have you used it (or do you intend to use it) for teaching?
10

>2. With respect to 5.0
>a. Have you every worked with it?
16 .

>b. How many research models would you estimate that you have produced in 5.0?
This is best answered by the actual numbers -- 5 "0"'s, 7 "1"'s, 4
"2"'s, 2 some, and 1 "4".

>c. Are you currently using it for research?
15

>d. Have you used it (or do you intend to use it) for teaching?
13

>3. With respect to the principal features on which ACT-R 5.0 differs
>from 4.0, how much experience have you had with
>a. The buffer control structure
Roughly, 6 "lots", 8 "some", 3 "little", 2 "none".

>b. The downgrading of the goal stack
This response could better be characterized binary with 14 having
experienced it and 5 not.

>c. The competitive latency equation and downgrading of the strengths
>of association
1 "lots", 5 "some", 4 "little", and 9 "none"

>d. Production compilation
2 "lots", 2 "some",  15 "none"

>4. With respect to the principal features on which ACT-R 5.0 differs
>from 4.0, how would you evaluate
>a. The buffer control structure
16 "good-to-great", 3 qualified.  The one suggestion that was made
was that we needed greater consistency in our use of buffers.

>b. The downgrading of the goal stack
7 "good-to-great", 10 "problematic", and 2 no response.  None of the
problematic seemed to want to go back to 4.0 but they still had their
problems.  Two complained about returning values, one about the time
to retrieve goals, one about the lack of a pop-on-failure, one about
goal forgetting, and one just the struggle in adjusting to the new
style.

>c. The competitive latency equation and downgrading of the strengths
>of association
2 OK, 13 had no comment, 4 noted problems -- for one that was lack of
an associative learning mechanism; for the other 2 it was the large
effects of number of competitors.

>d. Production compilation
1 "good", 7 "qualified good", and 11 no comment.  The qualifications
largely involved doubts about the mechanisms for gradually
introducing the production rules.  I know the production compilation
mechanism remains a little brittle but there has been too little use
to produce any annoyance with that yet and it is being at least
somewhat improved through the experience of the few current users.

>5. Any other comments?
One person felt that they needed simultaneous access to more than the
two chunks that can be held in goal and retrieval buffer.

One person wanted more support in terms of materials for teaching
5.0.  Another person wanted more documentation along the lines of the
Atomic Components of Thought.

One person wanted a failure chunk in the visual buffer if there was
no object at the attended location. That same person wanted
variability in cycle time.

One person wanted a representation of time, haptic feedback/learning,
an ability of the hand to do things like move a throttle, and worried
that the real window interface in 5.0 is compatible with real windows
in ACL 6.0.

One person wanted more outlets for publishing  ACT-R models.
However, I think as a whole the user community has been quite
successful at getting their models published.

One person felt that there were problems satisfying style constraints
on chunk creation in either 4.0 or 5.0.

Another person omplained about the "state" or "step" slots that tend
to be part of goals in 5.0 models.

One person complained about the extra burden in dealing with the
environment in 5.0.

That same person felt that there needed to be better debugging
features for 5.0 particularly to deal with the parallelism.

John R. Anderson
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Phone: 412-268-2788
Fax:     412-268-2844
email: ja at cmu.edu

answered after my initial distribution of the poll results on Nov 6,
raising our total to 19.  There still are some significant
non-respondents (you know who you are) but this probably gives</font>
a pretty good picture of where things stood as of a couple of months
ago (the 7 responded all shortly after the partial results were
distributed).   The conclusions are not dramatically
different.  The general conclusions seem that 5.0 is a keeper
with lots of use already, that buffers are a big win, that the jury is
out on just how to treat the goal stack, that there are problems with
activation/ competitive latency but few are experiencing them yet, and
that production compilation is receiving little use so far.</div>
With respect to 4.0:</font></blockquote>
Have you ever worked with it?</font></blockquote>
least one person who has only worked with 5.0 but all 19 of these
respondents had worked</font> with 4.0</div>
How many research models would you estimate that you have produced in
4.0?</font></blockquote>
Are you currently using it for research?</font></blockquote>
Have you used it (or do you intend to use it) for
teaching?</font></blockquote>
With respect to 5.0</font></blockquote>
Have you every worked with it?</font></blockquote>
How many research models would you estimate that you have produced in
5.0?</font></blockquote>
7 "1"'s, 4 "2"'s, 2 some, and 1
"4".</div>
Are you currently using it for research?</font></blockquote>
Have you used it (or do you intend to use it) for
teaching?</font></blockquote>
With respect to the principal features on which ACT-R 5.0 differs from
4.0, how much experience have you had with</font></blockquote>
The buffer control structure</font></blockquote>
"little", 2 "none".</div>
The downgrading of the goal stack</font></blockquote>
experienced it and 5 not.</div>
The competitive latency equation and downgrading of the strengths of
association</font></blockquote>
9 "none"</div>
Production compilation</font></blockquote>
"none"</div>
With respect to the principal features on which ACT-R 5.0 differs from
4.0, how would you evaluate</font></blockquote>
The buffer control structure</font></blockquote>
suggestion that was made was that we needed greater consistency in our
use of buffers.</div>
The downgrading of the goal stack</font></blockquote>
response.  None of the problematic seemed to want to go back to
4.0 but they still had their problems.  Two complained about
returning values, one about the time to retrieve goals, one about the
lack of a pop-on-failure, one about goal forgetting, and one just the
struggle in adjusting to the new style.</div>
The competitive latency equation and downgrading of the strengths of
association</font></blockquote>
lack of an associative learning mechanism; for the other 2 it was the
large effects of number of competitors.</div>
Production compilation</font></blockquote>
comment.  The qualifications largely involved doubts about the
mechanisms for gradually introducing the production rules.  I
know the production compilation mechanism remains a little brittle but
there has been too little use to produce any annoyance with that yet
and it is being at least somewhat improved through the experience of
the few current users.</div>
Any other comments?</font></blockquote>
needed simultaneous access to more than the two chunks that can be
held in goal and retrieval buffer.</font></div>
support in terms of materials for teaching 5.0.</font>  Another
person wanted more documentation along the lines of the Atomic
Components of Thought.</div>
chunk in the visual buffer if there was no object at the attended
location. That same person wanted variability in cycle
time.</font></div>
representation of time, haptic feedback/learning, an ability of the
hand to do things like move a throttle, and worried that the real
window interface in 5.0 is compatible with real windows in ACL
6.0.</font></div>
outlets for publishing  ACT-R models.  However, I think as a
whole the user community has been quite successful at getting their
models published.</font></div>
constraints on chunk creation in either 4.0 or 5.0.</div>
"step" slots that tend to be part of goals in 5.0
models.</div>
environment in 5.0.</div>
features for 5.0 particularly to deal with the parallelism.</div>

color="#000000"

Carnegie Mellon University<br>
Pittsburgh, PA 15213<br>
Phone: 412-268-2788<br>