2-parameter search in ACT-R (e.g. Slow Kendler)

Roman Belavkin rvb at cs.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 21:43:11 EST 2001

> ACTors,
>
> I have some observations about the process of "2D parameter search", and a
> fairly dramatic example of the landscape being searched.  I'll try and
keep
> this note fairly short.  Its purpose is just to give a summary, and to ask
> if it rings any bells for anyone and see if anyone has any comments or
> further examples, or can point me to existing discussion.

I did some study on ACT's conflict resolution mechanism with respect to
parameters affecting it.  (which are in you case :rule and :egs, but in fact
it is a bit more complicated due to :rule consists of :p :c and also global
:g).  This study became very important for my research and I think it can
explain the phenomena you are refering to.  I also thought about finding the
optiamal solution for these parameters and it proved to be that the
technique is in fact very similar to simmulated annealing.  These properties
were mentioned in our talk with Frank Ritter on Act-R workshop 2000 (also in
my 1st year report on http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rvb/), but I hope these
results will be in a proper paper soon (plus, this is an important part of
my PhD).

hope it helps
Roman