how can ACT-R models age?

Carol L. Raye carol.raye at yale.edu
Fri Jan 5 15:25:10 EST 2001

episodic memory, so I will throw in 2 cents.

"the fecundity of learning mechanisms leads to pervasive
acquisition of episodic memory" is a description of older
adults. Episodic memory is event memory and requires that
one bind together in memory the features that make up the
event. We have evidence that older adults have a binding
deficit in encoding episodic memories. For example, in a
working memory task they are less able than young adults to
bind the features of an event together into an episodic
memory, even when they recognize single features at the same
level as young adults. Our fMRI data for this task is also
consistent with an encoding deficit--less anterior
hippocampal activation in older adults in the feature
binding condition. Older adults also show deficits in many
source memory tasks (e.g., which of 2 speakers said what)and
again we have evidence of poorer encoding. In addition to
changes in underlying brain mechanisms, we have some
evidence that older adults may attend to different
information, e.g., attend less to perceptual features and
more to emotional than young adults--and they show some
benefit from instructions to focus on perceptual
information. In short, I agree with Lynne Reder that
acquiring new information is a significant problem with
aging. With respect to Lynn Hasher and colleagues' proposal
that older adults have a general failure in inhibitory
mechanisms, I found it appealing but when I last read the
work, I did not find the evidence as compelling as I would
have liked. Below are two recent references from our lab on
binding and aging.

Mitchell, K. J., Johnson, M. K., Raye, C. L., Mather, M., &
D'Esposito, M. (2000).  Aging and reflective processes of
working memory:  Binding and test load deficits.  Psychology
and Aging, 15, 527-541.
Mitchell, K.J., Johnson, M.K., Raye, C.L., & D'Esposito, M.
(2000). fMRI evidence of age-related hippocampal dysfunction
in feature binding in working memory.  Cognitive Brain
Research, 10, 197-206.

--
Carol L. Raye
Sr. Research Scientist