how can ACT-R models age?

Lynne reder at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 4 21:04:03 EST 2001

yet arrived in my mailbox.  I might have been inhibited to mention it
given his comments; however, given his cavalier dismissal of my view
(I would not be surprised if CL, ML and LD agree, but I can not speak
for them), I am motivated to comment
further.

My impression of aging effects is that the *biggest* liability of
aging is in acquiring new information not retrieving old
information--this occurs  with  poor encoding of simple facts, but is
most pronounced in learning new skills and concepts.  It seems that
older individuals are most handicapped in domains where their prior
knowledge is of least value, e.g., learning new technologies or video
games.   It is not obvious to me how Erik's filling up the brain with
too many chunks would predict that general pattern/problem with
aging.  My hunch (and again, since it has not been simulated it is only a
hunch) is that W would do a better job of explaining that aspect of
the demise of intellect with age.

Erik's other remark was that his proposal was a natural consequence
of aging, while W is a free parameter.  Well, it would at least be
constrained to go down with age, not up.  Moreover, it is a single parameter,
while my reading of Erik's proposal involved twiddling several parameters,
but perhaps I'm mistaken (low W and lots of decayed chunks due to my
advanced age, or at least, that's my excuse).

--L.

p.s. Since Bush's coronation by the Supreme Court, I've wanted to change
the name of the parameter to something other than W.

Lynne M. Reder, Professor
Department of Psychology
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213